Research Reveals The Top 50 Things Only Dads With Daughters Know
While knowing the difference between fuchsia and pink, being able to paint nails and create a French plait are also important skills a dad with a daughter will have.
Dads of daughters also know how to dance with her on their feet and will know exactly how to alleviate a fight between mother and child without upsetting either party.
Wendy Hill, Brand Activation Director for Mattel, which conducted the study of 500 dads with daughters under the age of 18, for Barbie, said: “By joining in with activities such as cartwheels and playtime, dancing and making fairy wings together, dads are showing their daughters just how much they matter – and that everything they do is important.”
Knowing how to play with dolls with her, who the members of One Direction are and how to be a willing make-up model are also on the top 50 list of things only dads with daughters will know.
Dads of daughters know it is important to shatter stereotypes – and that girls want to play football, build dens and climb trees too.
How to behave at a pop concert, knowing when Strictly Come Dancing is on, and how to run a ‘spa day’ at home are things dads of little girls will be familiar with.
Dads will also be a dab-hand at ice skating, face painting, tying ballet shoes, colour-coordinating and baking cakes as well as being able to give the perfect cuddle.
While knowing all the members of One Direction, knowing the winners of last year’s The X Factor and being able to being able to name Taylor Swift’s latest hit also also fall within the role of being dad to a daughter.
The study shows that half of dads know it is important to show their daughters that being kind and brave is more important than being pretty, and when it comes to empowering their daughter, 42 per cent of dads tell their daughters that they can be anything.
Dads help their daughters prepare for the future with 54 per cent thinking that encouraging their daughter’s confidence is one of the most important life lesson they can teach, while 51 per cent try to teach her practical skills.
Letting their imaginations soar is key for a third of dads who believe their daughter’s dolls help foster imagination.
When dads join playtime, two thirds recognise that this helps build their daughters self-confidence and that time spent in her imaginary world is an investment in her real world - while four in 10 wish they could devote more time to playing with their daughters.
Letting her make her own mistakes, teaching her the value of money at an early age and encouraging her to be brave are amongst the other ‘life lessons’ dads try to give their little girls.
And researchers found that for eight in 10 dads with a daughter, empowering them to become strong young women is of utmost importance.
As Dr. Linda Nielsen of Wake Forest University explains in her work, decades of research show that girls who have loving, communicative, supportive relationships with their dads from early childhood on are less likely to suffer from a lack of self-confidence and self-reliance as she grows up.
Wendy Hill, Brand Activation Director for Mattel continues: “A huge part of a dad’s role is to empower their daughters to be confident, imaginative and sure of who they are.
Global research shows how time spent in her imaginary world is an investment in her real world, and the importance of nurturing the father-daughter relationship to raise the next generation of girls to know their limitless potential.”
TOP 50 THINGS ONLY DADS WITH DAUGHTERS KNOW:
1. Who Barbie's boyfriend is
2. What a pirouette is
3. Glitter gets everywhere
4. How to give the perfect cuddle
5. How to make her feel special
6. How to clean showers full of hair
7. How to shop
8. How to make everything better
9. Girls like getting dirty too
10. When Strictly Come Dancing is on
11. Who the members of One Direction are
12. How to dance with her on your feet
13. You understand it will take hours to get into the bathroom
14. That girls want to play football as well
15. They don't always want pink and purple
16. How to skip
17. That chocolate or ice cream covers a multitude of sins
18. How important it is to colour co-ordinate
19. That girls also like to build dens and climb trees
20. How to play with dolls
21. How to stop a nightmare
22. How to break up a fight between her and her mother
23. How to paint nails
24. How to show enthusiasm when watching a girlie movie or a musical show
25. Who the winner of last year's The X Factor was
26. How to dance
27. How to ice skate
28. How to French plait
29. How to face paint
30. That you always need to have a hairband handy
31. How to bake the perfect cake
32. How to roller skate
33. How to have a perfect tea party
34. What Taylor Swift's latest hit is
35. That she needs to change her outfit five times a day
36. How to say 'no' gently when she asks to marry you
37. The names of all four members of Little Mix
38. How to behave at a pop concert
39. How to tie ballet shoes
40. How to cartwheel
41. How to get chewing gum out of long hair
42. What objects in the house make a great popstar microphone
43. The dance moves to the Macarena
44. How to make a pair of fairy wings
45. How to be a make-up model and wear eyeshadow and lipstick
46. How to create the perfect ‘bun’
47. All the words to Olly Murs 'Troublemaker'
48. The difference between fuchsia and pink
49. What to do for a spa day at home
50. The words to Justin Bieber's 'Baby'